Friday, July 11, 2014

Back to Basics 26 - Spicy Broccoli


I'm always looking for sides recipes. I can make grilled chicken breast and I know right away what grains I want to make with it (Quinoa with pine nuts, brown rice, farro with pistachios). Same goes for steak, fish or meatloaf. But I'm at a loss for the veggie side. Well, this recipe has saved many dinners! It's quick, nutritious, delicious and easy. I always have everything in my pantry, including the broccoli which I keep in my freezer. You don't even need to defrost it, just pull out the amount you need and add it to the skillet. Just omit the chicken stock or add a tiny bit.
Ingredients
-3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
-3 garlic cloves, chopped
-1 bunch of organic broccoli, or about a pound. Take the woody stems off and then chop into smaller pieces
-Pinch of red pepper flakes
-1/2 cup of chicken stock (I have a recipe here), or water
-Salt & pepper to taste

Directions
-Heat the olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes in a large skillet over medium heat.


-Cook, stirring often until it becomes fragrant. This should take about a minute.


-Add your chopped broccoli and cook for about 3-5 minutes.


-Add the chicken stock and then season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until the broccoli is tender but not mushy. It should take about 5-7 minutes.


Serve alongside some grilled chicken, steak, fish or like I did recently: meatloaf!



Servings 4 servings, about 3/4 cup each.
Nutritional Info: 148 calories per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment