Monday, March 04, 2013

Quick Quinoa Salad


I made this salad, including cooking the quinoa, in about 25-30 minutes. I was starving, didn't want to order out or eat the super-terrible-but-damn-tasty ramen in my pantry. So I pulled some quinoa out of the cabinet, and took all the vegetables I had in my fridge and threw everything in there. This is just an idea of what you can do, not a set recipe. I actually don't remember the particular measurements because if I stopped to measure, I'd pass out from hunger (ok, not really. I'm being dramatic).
Here's my post on how to cook quinoa. While that was going, I chopped up the veggies.


Ingredients
Try to buy most of these organic!
-One tomato, chopped
-Half a cucumber, not peeled and chopped
-2 romaine leaves
-Fresh mozzarella (about 10 little cubes?)
-Handful of raisins
-Toasted almond slices (to toast nuts, put them in a skillet without any oil or butter, on medium-high heat. Constantly moving them, toast until you smell them or until they get golden brown)

-You could add spinach, bell peppers, different dried fruits and nuts. Avocado, pears, apples. Pretty much anything you like. This is just what I had on hand.

Directions
-Throw everything in a bowl. Once your quinoa is ready, just throw it in the bowl too. A wonderful thing will happen. Since your quinoa is still warm, the mozzarella will melt a little and become a sort of glue. AMAZING. At the end all I did was drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil and that's it! I didn't season with salt and pepper because the quinoa was seasoned enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment