Thursday, March 07, 2013

How to make Almond Butter


This recipe came about because I had been buying this really expensive organic almond butter from the grocery store. I didn't even bother reading the label (which I always do, and you should too) because you know, "it's organic! must be totes healthy". Well, this almond butter had a few more ingredients in it that I didn't really want to be eating all the time. All I want in my almond butter is ALMONDS, and maybe a little salt.
So anyway, I decided to make my own. It's cheaper anyway! And like many of my recipes, extremely easy.

Ingredients
Uhm, almonds. That's all. You'll also need a food processor.

Directions
Start out with about 3 cups of almonds, however much your food processor can handle. Turn your oven on to 350F.


Put them on a baking sheet in a single layer, then dry roast them in the oven for 10-12 minutes.


Then throw them in your food processor


Then, I processed them for 2 minutes. They'll look like almond flour. Stop after every 2 minutes and scrape down the sides. It only took me 8 minutes to get the consistency I wanted.


Then 2 more minutes:


2 more:


Then, the last 2 did the job!


And that. is. it. Put it in a glass jar, or a BPA free plastic jar and enjoy! I put mine in the fridge just to get a longer shelf life out of them.

What can you do with almond butter? Use it the same way you'd use peanut butter. Sandwich, smoothie, breakfast, sauces, spread it on crackers, cookies, granola bars, oatmeal.


No comments:

Post a Comment