Thursday, September 20, 2012

Back to Basics 3 - Classic Hummus


I used to HAATTEEE hummus when I was younger. My dad loves it, and I just did not see what all the fuss was about. But as I started eating healthy, getting older and developing a more complex palette, I started to become pretty obsessed with it. I'm also very into making my own..everything! Started with cookies, moving to almond butter, bread, pizza, etc. So I had to make my own hummus, but I thought it was the hardest thing on Earth to do. That is, until I googled it. SUPER easy, you only need a few ingredients and a food processor. Or a blender.



Ingredients
-1 16oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
-1/4 cup liquid from the can of chickpeas
-1-5 tablespoons lemon juice to taste
-2 tablespoons tahini
-2 cloves garlic
-1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-Pinch of cayenne pepper

Directions
-Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Chop up the cloves of garlic in the food processor first. Then combine remaining ingredients. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.







-Place in serving bowl, add more cayenne if you'd like and drizzle with olive oil.


-You can use this as a spread for veggies, pita bread or chips. You can spread it on bread and eat as is or make a sandwich with some baby spinach, tomatoes and cucumbers. You could even add it alongside some grains for a filling lunch.





I used a container from hummus I had bought in the past, then made a cute label because apparently I'm obsessed with labeling things now.

No comments:

Post a Comment