Kale is an amazing food:
- It's low in calories (1 cup has 36 calories)
- High fiber (1 cup has 5 grams)
- FAT FREE
- Filled with folate and magnesium
- High in iron (even more than beef)
- High in Vitamin K (which helps prevent against many cancers)
- Antioxidant rich (also help fight cancers)
- Anti-inflammatory (has many omega-3 fatty acids)
- Helps lower cholesterol levels
- High in Vitamin A (great for your eyes and skin, and also helps prevent against lung and oral cavity cancers)
- High in Vitamin C (obviously great for your immune system, but also metabolism and hydration)
- High in calcium (more than milk!)
- Perfect for detoxing
Phew! Ok, so even after all that you say "But EW, I won't eat it!". Well, maybe you'll eat it if it tastes like potato chips..? Baking these with a ton of olive oil creates an amazing crispy and salty new food that goes great as a snack, appetizer, game-day treat. And with the addition of this lemony mayo, this is totally a home run.
-3 big leaves of kale
-Extra virgin olive oil
-Salt & pepper
-1 cup of mayo, learn to make your own here
-Juice and zest of half a lemon
-Salt & pepper to taste
Turn your oven on to 350F. Strip the leaves off the kale stem and cut them in about 2-inch chunks. The same size a potato chip would be. Place them in a big cookie sheet and drizzle with a bunch of olive oil. Don't skimp because they will not crisp up, they'll just burn if you don't have enough oil. Put them in the oven for 10-12 minutes. As soon as they come out of the oven, season with as much salt and pepper as you want.
While the kale is in the oven, get started on your mayo! Measure out one cup of mayo, you can use light or fat free if you want, but you're having this superfood so I think it's ok to splurge a little. Zest half of a lemon right in the bowl, THEN juice one half in there. Don't try juicing first, that's just more work for you. Then season with salt and pepper and make sure to taste it so you can figure out if it's to your liking.
I know it can be scary and many people won't even try these kale chips. But trust me, these are unbelievable. They don't taste anything like what you would expect. PLEASE give these a try and let me know how you like them!