Thursday, January 24, 2013

Whole Wheat Cheese Crackers

Look at the flaky layers of cheese in that cracker!
I know we all crave crackers sometimes. I do ALL THE TIME. I just need that salty, crunchy bite in the afternoon so I reach for that box of crackers and I.can't.stop. To help with my addiction, I made this whole wheat cheese cracker (it's pretty much like cheezits). First of all, it's whole wheat. Second, it has FIVE ingredients and no crazy chemicals. I got the recipe from Big Bear's Wife, Angie perfected it by going through tons of recipes to try and get that perfect taste. And let me tell you, she did an amazing job. My boyfriend tried it and he said it didn't have that whole wheat taste at all. Seriously, it tastes exactly like the boxed kind. So here we go:

Ingredients

1 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (I bought a really nice sharp cheddar and grated my own)
4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
Preheat your oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat.

In a food processor, grate your cheddar cheese. Then throw in the rest of the ingredients and turn the machine on for about 2 minutes, until you see your dough come together in a ball.

Remove dough from food processor and knead a little on a floured surface (whole wheat flour please!). Form into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes.

After the 30 minutes have gone by, remove dough from the fridge. Roll the dough on top of that same floured surface to about 1/8 of an inch thick.

Using small-ish cookie cutters or a knife, cut your dough out. I didn't have the cookie cutter I would have liked, it was a little too big. But I wasn't going to go out and search in 10 different stores or go online. Just use what ya got. Place your cookies on the prepared baking sheets. Poke holes in the crackers so they don't puff up too much. You can do just a couple in the center, poke holes everywhere, or do what I did: poke a message in the crackers for your super cute boyfriend.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Take them out of the oven, let them cool on the sheet for 1 minute and then transfer to a cooling rack. Were you not able to read the message? Maybe this next picture will help...
Hint: it says "I love you Eric"

And that's it! Enjoy responsibly please. Do not run off and eat the whole batch. They're whole wheat but they're not calorie free.

No comments:

Post a Comment